NORTH CASCADES AUDUBON SOCIETY
Board Meeting Minutes
December 7, 2015
The meeting was called to order by President Pam Borso at 7:00 pm at the WECU education center on Holly Street.
Board Members Present: Pam Borso, Steven Harper, Sue Parrott, Ken Salzman, Carol Roberts. Steve Irving, Paul Woodcock, Twink Coffman: Absent: Rae Edwards, Owen Bamford, Kelley Palmer-McGee.
Secretary’s Report: The November report was approved as submitted. Follow-ups will be added to the minutes.
Treasurer’s Report: Sue presented the treasurer’s report for November along with an updated spread sheet of donations and scholarships given by NCAS through the past years.
Communications and Input
- Twink suggested that we provide welcome information for new members, especially if receiving the electronic version of the newsletter. More discussion of what we should do for members will be discussed at the retreat.
- Twink noted that there seems to be a problem with email notification of new issues of the newsletter.
- A group of us will move the Purple Martin houses on Clark Point because of creosote piling removal.
- The Cherry Point Survey identification class is going well with approx. 40 participants. Sandy Point is again one of the sites as we have obtained beach access to the site through a neighbor’s property.
- Paul continues to coordinate the upcoming CBC and there are plenty of people to fill all of the required areas.
- The Syrie opens in January and Paul, Pam, Owen and Ken will be presenting programs. Steve Irving will also be participating.
- Ken has presentations scheduled at Adult Day Health and the Parkway Chateau in 2016.
- Carol reported that everything is ready for the holiday party on Dec. 8. Centerpieces for the tables have been purchased for approx. $50 and Paul has 7 great prizes for the bird trivia contest.
- Trevor Bloom will come to our board meeting in February to present his results, partially funded by a scholarship from NCAS. He will also be asked to present at the May membership meeting.
- The board suggested exerting extra effort to advertise the January general membership program as Trina and Jen from Washington State Audubon will do a presentation on climate change and the effect on birds. This is an important topic and it would be good to have more people notified of the opportunity.
- Ideas were discussed for the upcoming yearly retreat on January 4. The board decided to prioritize long range planning for the organization along with reviewing the budget for 2016, discussing our membership’s needs, reviewing programing needs, and prioritizing next year’s goals and objectives. Chris Brewer from the Whatcom Museum will be invited to attend in recognition of our strong collaborative efforts with the Museum. Potential new board members, Jamie and Nicole Huson, will also be invited to sit in. Pizza will be provided.
- Pam will put together the agenda for the retreat and all board members are welcome to provide additional suggestions for the retreat.
- Ken will purchase 2 or 3 large pizzas for the Retreat depending on the number of participants.
- Steven will contact Trevor Bloom to ask that he present at the May membership meeting and to ask him to come to the February board meeting to give a brief presentation.
- Membership number data will be compiled by Sue and Owen for the retreat.
- Sue will develop the 2016 budget.
- Twink will explore increasing our advertising by contacting Cascadia Weekly, Entertainment NW and the Bellingham Herald Take Five.
Meeting Adjourned: 8:30 pm
Next Meeting: January 4, 2015 6pm – 9pm yearly retreat at the WECU Education Center, 311 Holly Street, Bellingham.
Steven Harper, Secretary