Summary of NCAS Board Meeting: September 3, 2018
The Board met at the Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship from 7 to 9 pm on September 3 and took the following actions and/or discussed the following issues:
- The remaining $1,000 of our $3,000 scholarship budget has been reserved for a possible Beginning Birding class to be offered at Whatcom Community College.
- Audubon will staff a booth at the Bellingham Farmer’s Market twice per year.
- Reservations for the Pearrygin Lake Campout have been made for Thursday-Sunday, May 30-June 2.
- Updated job descriptions for Board members and Committee Chairs will be submitted to the Board for approval.
- The President will invite a representative from the Whatcom Land Trust to an upcoming Board meeting to share their strategies for fundraising and recruiting new members.
- The Conservation Committee signed on to a national letter opposing attacks on environmental issues in the 2019 Appropriations Bill.
- The Board voted to adopt a proposal to establish a fundraising goal of $11,000 to construct an elevated viewing platform/bird blind and interpretive signage for the Harrison Reserve project. This goal includes raising $5,500 from NCAS general membership and matching dollar for dollar up to $5,500 from NCAS reserve funds. NCAS will continue to purse grants for this project.
- A photo release will be added to our field trip liability release form.
- The Board voted to co-sponsor a Candidate Forum with RESources for Sustainable Communities for three Whatcom County positions on the November 2018 ballot. These positions are: County Council at Large, Public Utility District #1 Commissioner and County Prosecutor. The Forum is planned for October (date TBA).