NORTH CASCADES AUDUBON SOCIETYBoard Meeting MinutesSeptember 7, 2015 The meeting was called to order by President Pam Borso at 6:30 pm in the meeting room of Woods Coffee on Bay Street.Board Members Present: Pam Borso, Paul Woodcock, Steven Harper, Twink Coffman, Sue Parrott, Ken Salzman, Carol Roberts. Absent: Rae Edwards, Owen Bamford, Steve Irving, Kelley Palmer-McCarty Secretary’s Report: The August report was approved as submitted.Treasurer’s Report: Sue presented the updated treasurer’s report. Questions were raised regarding how to characterize large donations submitted as memberships. It was decided to designate anything over $100 as a donation. Sue noted that $150 in scholarship donations were given to Whatcom Museum for children participating in the summer birding classes. Communications and Input
- Pam reported that she signed on to letters supporting opposition to Army helicopter training flight proposals in North Cascades wilderness areas submitted by Washington State Audubon and Washington Wild.
- The concern by a member regarding links not working on our website turned out to be a non-issue as the member later had no issue with the links.
- 150 newsletters were sent out as first class postage and 12 newsletters were given to Wild Bird Chalet to hand out. A new endorsement will be added to the newsletter to request address information on forwarded newsletters.
- The night migration event proposed for John Bower’s home will be put off until next year because of potential family travel issues.
- Ken continues to work on the NSEA eagle presentation on Oct. 3.
- The Pearrygin Lake campout has been firmly scheduled for June 2-5, 2016.
- The December Holiday Event has been firmly scheduled for Dec. 8 at the Lairmont Manor. Carol will coordinate table cloth procurement and other details for the event.
- Steven asked whether board minutes should be in the newsletter and it was noted that it was past policy that this should be happening. Steven will submit minutes for publication beginning this month.
- The board discussed having a “kids group” participate in the Christmas bird count. Ken will follow up to see if this can be arranged.
- The Syrie Bird Exhibit will be open from approximately Jan. 4 through early February.
- Board agreed to pledge $1000 to Washington State Audubon for 2016.
- ACOW will be in Burlington on October 24. Board members are encouraged to attend. Pam will investigate whether they need volunteers.
- Whatcom County Council has established a Wildlife Advisory Committee and is looking for members. 7 of the 11 members must have technical expertise related to wildlife.
- The Cherry Point Bird Survey training has been scheduled for Tuesdays from Nov. 3 – December 15 with the exception of Nov. 24 and Dec. 8.
Meeting Adjourned: 8:00 pmNext Meeting: October 5, 2015 7:00pm at the WECU Education Center, 311 Holly Street, Bellingham. Steven Harper, Secretary